‘Teamwork’ bees: finished

The ‘Teamwork’ panel of embroidered and appliquéd bees has now been stretched onto some mount board and is ready to show off.  So here it is! And a close up: Back to the beading next, I think.

‘Teamwork’ bees: appliqué wings and honeycomb

The bees’ bodies have been completed but don’t look right at all without their wings, but that’s about to change, with the addition of some appliqué. Using little running stitches worked from the back, where the full design is marked up onto lining fabric, I transferred the wing outlines to the front, background, fabric. I want…

Nasturtium roundel – finished

The final step, with the embroidery finished, is to cut it out and apply it to a background. As usual now, I painted the back with dilute PVA glue, and after leaving it overnight to dry thoroughly, cut it out – very carefully. I’m using an ivory velvet for the background; here’s the embroidery cut out…

Oak leaves – background and finishing

I’ve tried something a little different this time, and I’m happy to say that it’s worked out nicely. First things first, though, and the usual drill of painting the back of the embroidery with diluted PVA glue and cutting it out: Now for the background: some green cotton velvet, but applied to that a disc…

Hints and tips articles: appliqué

Elsewhere on the site are a series of hints and tips articles, giving instructions on how to do some of the embroidery techniques I use in my work. When revising the content of my website for the development of this new version, I was horrified to discover that I hadn’t provided photos of each stage…

Plantagenet Wreath – stitching to the background

Back to business after the excitement of launching the new site. I haven’t had time to do much sewing recently, but I have finished off the Plantagenet Wreath.  With it cut out, I needed to stitch it onto the background fabric, which is a dark red cotton velvet.  I did take photos of this as…

Shaded snowdrop – cutting out and making up

Having painted the pack of the finished embroidery with diluted PVA glue and left it overnight to dry, I cut out the snowdrop: I’m getting used to dealing with the fiddly shape by now! This time, I’m applying it to a green velvet background, for a complete contrast with the previous snowdrops.  I used one…

White snowdrop sample – cutting out and making up

Happy holidays everyone! I’d wanted to get this finished before the festivities and have just made it, so here we go. You know the drill by now: I painted the back of the stitches with diluted PVA glue, and after leaving it to dry overnight, could start to cut it out: And fully cut out,…

Apple tree fire screen – applying the embroidery to the background

With the embroidery safely cut out and all in one piece, it’s time to add it to the background. I’d already got that set up and key reference points marked on the fabric to ensure I got the apple tree design on straight.  I laid the embroidery on the fabric, lining it up with the…

Apple tree fire screen – cutting out the embroidery

Time to get out the scissors!  The reason I painted glue on the back of the stitching was so I could cut it out without the whole thing falling to bits.  Once cut out, the embroidered slip will be stitched to the background fabric. This is the same principle as I used for the flowers…