Druid banner – the completed embroidery

As promised, here’s a photo of the completed embroidery on the banner: You can probably spot the pins round the edge which means it’s being damp stretched and therefore I’ve started making it up, but I’ll describe that process properly once I’ve got a bit further.

Druid banner – lettering: OBOD

With all the letters cut out, I can start attaching them to the fabric. If you can remember back at the start when I ironed the transfer onto the linen used to line the top fabric, the design came out back to front, such as the letters ‘OBOD’ (in a Gaelic font) here: I also…

Druid banner – appliqué trilithon

Time to start the trilithon, the ‘Stonehenge’ motif that forms the heart of the design. This is appliqué, using white duchess silk satin, which has a beautiful sheen to it.  I first traced the shapes from the design drawing, and cut them out in a lightweight Vilene.  I should stress that this is not Bondaweb…

And all of the flowers on the right

Sorry for not having written in ages, but while I may not have been blogging, I have been sewing, and have applied all of the flowers to the right of the panel. I started with the pearlworts: Then a couple of wood avens: Two ferns (and a stray wood aven – I forgot to take…

The rest of the flowers on the left

I’m pressing ahead as fast as I can here, to try and get everything finished.  As such, I’ve got quite a lot more done, and have now added all the flowers on the left of the panel. So, since last time, I’ve added a couple of ferns: A cluster of wood avens: Some leaves to…

Flowers centre and left

I’ve been busy.  I’ve made a good start with getting the flowers applied to the background, starting with the cowslip in the centre: I find it a big help to get the centre flower in first – it makes it much easier to judge the placement when I can work outwards from it. So, using…

Right hand side of the panel

The new boiler was installed today, which was a relief.  Hot water!  At last! The Banner panel has also taken a step forwards, with all the flowers applied to the right-hand panel.  There were a few pearlworts: Some wood avens: And the very last foxglove: Then finally the last three ferns: So here’s the panel…

Back to normal

I’m back online, I’m happy to say.  Broadband access has become such a normal part of my life that I really miss it when it’s not available.  I can say the same about heating and hot water, too, which I have now been without for a week, after my ever-unreliable boiler finally broke down beyond…

A note on placement

The two panels I’ve done already – the bottom and left ones – while clearly similar, have obviously different designs.  The remaining two – top and right – are similar to the finished ones.  And I do want to emphasise that: similar.  The concept of the design is a scattering of wild flowers, as you…

Foxgloves and ferns

A double helping today, with the second foxglove and three more ferns all added to the panel. As with the first one, I added the stem of the foxglove first, by couching gold thread: Then added the top and bottom flowers, to help with the spacing: And then added the rest of the flowers in…