A constellation of flowers

I’m a little over half way through applying the embroidered flowers to the background fabric of this panel; as there’s just the one cowslip in the middle, and that’s already on, adding the flowers to the right end should take less time than adding them to the left. Starting with the little flowers, we have…

Three more ferns

Just three more ferns to go on the left end of the second panel of St Cuthbert’s Banner.  A small landmark, but one to note none the less. Here’s the first one: And the second one: On Fiona’s original design, the third one slightly overlaps the seam between the left and top panels (with the…

Applying the first foxglove

It’s the first foxglove next, and I’m approaching this slightly differently to what I’ve done before. Previously, I’ve added all the flowers, edged them in gold, then added the goldwork stems last of all.  This has meant going around the flowers, or stopping and starting the couched gold threads, to make it looks as though…

Pearlworts and wood avens

There aren’t as many pearlworts and wood avens on the side panels as on the top and bottom ones, just one sheet of each.  Half of these go to the left of the central cowslip, mostly quite close to it. The first one is quite central, next to a fern: Three more are clustered quite…

The first three ferns

There are nine ferns on this panel, but I’m going to add them in groups of three, partly as that’s about as much fern as I can stand in one go, and partly because it works out quite nicely that way. I wasn’t entirely happy with the curve on at least of the ferns for…

Applying the cowslip

Time to start adding the flowers! I should just mention that while the finished panel will be vertical, it’s mounted horizontally on the frame, so the flowers in the photos will be sideways on.  I could turn the photos round, of course, but I thought it would be better if you see them them way…

All the flowers added

I was wrong when I said I only had a few flowers on the right still to add – when I checked the design, it turned out there was still a fern to go on the left, too.  And here it is: After that, there really was just a few flowers (and another fern) to go…

More flowers

It’s a beautiful sunny day today, though at -8 degrees Celsius I’m not expecting the snow to thaw any time soon. Never mind, it’s nice and cosy indoors, and I’ve got plenty to do. Including adding more flowers to the bottom panel of the Banner, which is coming along nicely.  Here it is with a few…

Adding more flowers (and a weather report)

Winter’s arrived a month early this year – everything’s under a thick blanket of snow, and I’m currently looking at a blizzard.  A good day to be at home stitching, so it’s a pity I had to go to work!  Still, it did look quite pretty from indoors – this was the view from the…

Applying the flowers

It’s now time to start applying the flowers to the velvet panel fabric.  This is a big moment, and rather a nerve-wracking one, though I suppose the worst that can happen is that I make a mess of a flower and need to stitch it again, which I don’t want to have to do, but…