Embroidered panel: Ruskin Roses

My latest piece is finished and framed: It’s an original design, but I was aiming for an Arts and Crafts look, hence the title! It was worked using the same technique I’ve been employing for quite a few things lately: hand embroidered with Madeira stranded cotton in long and short stitch onto gold organza. A – Read the full article…

Dog Roses: an embroidered panel

The final completed piece is of wild roses: This is worked in long and short stitch, then applied to a background of ivory cotton velvet. A close-up: I’ve covered in detail elsewhere the techniques I use for these pieces, but as a quick recap: the design is traced onto a gold organza, just a cheap – Read the full article…

Orchids: an embroidered panel

The next embroidery project I’ve completed is a surface embroidered panel of orchids, in long and short stitch: In a little more detail: I have one more completed piece to show you, so that’s next!

‘Teamwork’ bees: adding the colour

With the gold outline done, I can fill in the bee shapes with colour. I’m using Madeira stranded cotton in black (no. 2400), yellow (0104) and ivory (2402): Black first, for the heads and bodies and some of the stripes, worked in long and short stitch: Then the yellow stripes: Then finally the ivory, for – Read the full article…

Primroses

Sorry for the long silence – longer than I’d realised, looking back.  I’ve had other, non-sewing, things going on lately and haven’t been doing as much embroidery as usual. I have been doing some, though; there doesn’t seem much need to walk you through the technique I used as it’s just the same as the – Read the full article…

Nasturtium roundel – finished

The final step, with the embroidery finished, is to cut it out and apply it to a background. As usual now, I painted the back with dilute PVA glue, and after leaving it overnight to dry thoroughly, cut it out – very carefully. I’m using an ivory velvet for the background; here’s the embroidery cut out – Read the full article…

Nasturtium roundel – flowers

The last bit of embroidery on this project: the flowers. With the leaves, I used the lightest shade on the outside of the leaf and got darker towards the centre; here I’m doing the opposite, starting with the darkest shade and getting lighter further in. The darkest shade is Madeira stranded cotton no. 0204, and – Read the full article…

Nasturtium roundel – flower buds

A bit more than the buds, actually, but with my usual botanical ignorance I don’t know what the bit at the back of the flowers is called.  Whatever it is, I’ve done them, too. Anyway, the buds proper at the centre of the design, worked in long and short stitch in Madeira stranded cotton 0105 – Read the full article…

Nasturtium roundel – leaves

Onto the leaves next.  There was quite a bit of work in them, but I’m very pleased with how they’ve turned out. To start with, I added the leaf veins in a single line of split stitch.  In the other leaves I’ve done I put them in last, but with the shape of the nasturtium – Read the full article…

Nasturtium roundel – stems and seeds

With all the outlining done, time to start filling in the design with long and short stitch. I’m starting with the stems and seeds. The stems in particular are too narrow to allow for shading, so I’ve done them all in one shade of thread, Madeira stranded cotton no. 1409. As the stitching itself changes – Read the full article…