With all the stitched sections finished, it’s time to put it all together.
I cut pieces of mount board, to form the ‘box’:
The top of the box needs to have a hole cut in it to frame the carved stone; to do this, I first traced the shape and stuck it to one of the larger pieces of mount board:
I roughly cut as much of the central section away as I could, then cut slits up to the line, and very carefully cut away each section:
You can see I’ve made a start round the left dog’s nose.
And tidied up a bit:
The stitched panels were cut out, leaving a margin:
The side panels were attached to the board sections, and stitched together at the sides. I have to confess: I used PVA glue to attached the margins (not the stitched area) to the board. I know from past experience that trying to lace skinny and awkward shapes is next to impossible, so I decided at the start that I’d glue them.
There was a problem, though – the heavy stitching had drawn the felt shapes I was stitching over in a bit. These felt shapes had been cut exactly to size, so this meant that they were now slightly too small. Just a couple of millimetres, but enough to be obvious. If I was making a box I’d just have made it slightly smaller, but that wasn’t an option here as they’re a snug fit around the stone anyway, so some way of disguising the seam was needed.
The sides slotted over the stone very nicely:
The base was covered with red velvet, and ladder stitched to the sides:
Here’s a last look at the top of the stonework, sitting in its box:
And with the top, attached to the cut board, added, leaving the carved design showing through:
More red ribbon covering the seams:
I’ll take some photos in better light, to show it off.