I’ve tried something a little different this time, and I’m happy to say that it’s worked out nicely.
First things first, though, and the usual drill of painting the back of the embroidery with diluted PVA glue and cutting it out:
Now for the background: some green cotton velvet, but applied to that a disc of gold kid:
That photo’s a bit dark, unfortunately – my camera was struggling with the reflection from the shiny leather and over-compensated. You get the idea, though.
Onto that, I stitched the cut out embroidery:
I had to take this slowly and carefully as there wasn’t much margin for error – a needle hole in leather isn’t going to close up as it would in fabric, so the needle had to be in the right place every time. I used a proper leather needle, which helped, but it still took a while.
And here it is stretched and mounted onto board, ready for framing:
I’m pleased with how it’s turned out – this was something of an experiment as I wasn’t sure how well it would work with the gold kid (too much of a chance of things going wrong), but it was reasonably straightforward in the end. I think I’ll use kid as a background again!