Hello to new readers!

If you’re new to this blog and have followed a link here from Mary Corbet’s site, then a big hello, and I hope you’ll keep on reading. If you did come here from Needle ‘n Thread then you’ve probably already seen the Apple Tree fire screen: but you might also be interested in some of…

Acanthus leaf sample – completed

As this is just a sample piece I’m not making it up into anything, but I still want to finish it off nicely and put it on a background.  The first step towards that is to paint diluted PVA glue on the back: It’s still damp there so the colours look a little darker. Once…

Acanthus leaf sample – starting to fill in

With the shading done, I can start to fill in the rest, using two strands of the palest shade, 1908. Here’s one leaf done (and photographed against a dark background, to make it stand out a bit better): And the rest of that section: There’s still a way to go, but I’m happy with how…

Acanthus leaf sample – a bit more shading

The shading is coming along.  A bit more added, to the left hand half: This uses one strand of 1910, as before, but with one strand of 1908 (the same shade as used for the outline). The second half too: That’s the shading done – time to start filling in the rest next.

Acanthus leaf sample – a bit of shading

Dear me, it’s been a long time since my last post – I’ve been rather busy with other, non-sewing, things, so sorry about that.  I’m getting back to my stitching now, though, so things should get back to normal soon. I’ve made a start on adding some colour, starting with the darkest shade, Madeira 1912,…

Acanthus leaf sample – colours and outlining

With the design transferred and painted, I put it on a frame ready to stitch: (sorry about the rather harsh lighting in that photo – I’m not sure what happened there). I’m using three shades of Madeira stranded cotton: nos. 1908, 1910 and 1912. As the palest shade, 1908, will be the most used of…

Acanthus leaf sample

After the Apple Tree fire screen, I want to do a couple more small sample pieces using the same techniques, to play about a bit with the shading and see what works.  The first one I’m going to do is a classical acanthus leaf design: While the fire screen used quite bold colours, I want…

‘Jungle Book’ slip case – completed

The slip case is now finished – here it is with the book in it, showing the spine: When I showed it made up but without the book it might have looked the wrong way round, as though the opening was on the wrong side.  In fact, it’s that way on purpose, so that when…