‘Jungle Book’ slip case – getting set up

With the design drawn up, time to get started.  First, and as usual, I made a transfer of the design, ironed this onto some fine linen, and used this to line the fabric that I’m using for the front: I’m using a silk dupion in a shade called ‘Laurel Leaf’ from Hansson of Guildford.  They…

‘Jungle Book’ slip case

I love books.  I also love book illustration, and over the years have collected quite a few illustrated books.  These are often children’s books, though not always, but they’re beautiful objects whoever their intended audience. I’ve made a few slip cases – a cover to protect a book that it can slide in and out…

Red bat – stretching and mounting the embroidery

I want to get this framed, but I’ll mount it onto card myself before taking it to the framer.  No surprises here but the usual routine. Damp stretching: Cutting some mount board to the right size (20cm x 20cm, or 8″ x 8″): Sticking some wadding to it with 505 fabric spray glue: Stretching the…

Red bat – stitching finished

The lower half of the background stitched through from the back: And stitched properly: Finished! Well, the sewing is, anyway.  I need to mount it on some board ready for framing next.

Red bat – half the background

Pressing on, it’s the background next.  The top half of it marked through from the back: And over-stitched: As the background design is quite fiddly (the whole thing is quite small) I’ve gone for one strand of stranded cotton and two of the machine embroidery thread, to make the lines a bit finer.  It’s still…

Red bat – the bat itself

As I mentioned last time, to make a do-it-yourself metallic thread, I intended to stitch the outline of the bat using two strands of stranded cotton and two lengths of a glittery ‘holographic’ machine embroidery thread. And I’m pleased to say, it worked: That’s worked in chain stitch, and gives exactly the effect I was…

Red bat – threads and the bat

With the bat design on the back of the fabric, I can start to stitch over it to mark it up on the front.  It’s going to be in red, so I used a red sewing thread to stitch over the bat outline (and only the bat outline at this stage), so that I can…

Red bat – design and preparation

A new project to work on!  This is quite a small piece, and shouldn’t take too long to do, I don’t think.  The person it’s for has asked for an outline of a bat against a patterned background.  This is on a black fabric, and worked in red metallic thread.  She’s also specified a size:…

Apple tree fire screen – finished

It’s all done, and I’m very pleased.  I’m not 100% happy with the shading on the stems, but they’re fine, and the new things I tried – paint and glue! – have been very successful indeed.  This was always meant as an experiment, but I’ll definitely be using these techniques again in the future. So,…

Apple tree fire screen – stretching and mounting

I dismantled the fire screen, putting the old embroidery away, and giving the frame a good clean.  There was already a board cut to size for the embroidery to go round, having been used for the old one, so no need to get anything else.  The old one was glazed, but I don’t want this…