Apple tree fire screen – applying the embroidery to the background

With the embroidery safely cut out and all in one piece, it’s time to add it to the background. I’d already got that set up and key reference points marked on the fabric to ensure I got the apple tree design on straight.  I laid the embroidery on the fabric, lining it up with the…

Apple tree fire screen – cutting out the embroidery

Time to get out the scissors!  The reason I painted glue on the back of the stitching was so I could cut it out without the whole thing falling to bits.  Once cut out, the embroidered slip will be stitched to the background fabric. This is the same principle as I used for the flowers…

Apple tree fire screen – getting the background ready

Although the embroidery was done onto organza, that’s not the final fabric for the finished piece, which is an ivory cotton velvet.  With all the embroidery completed, it’s time to get that ready. I’m going to be applying the embroidery to the velvet background, so in order to make sure I get it on straight,…

Apple tree fire screen – glue…

On the whole, I’ve never felt that glue and embroidery go together.  I’ll admit to occasionally using small amounts of 505 fabric spray glue to hold small, fiddly appliqué shapes in place before I stitch them, but that’s all.  I dislike Bondaweb and other fusible fabrics and never use them, and wouldn’t dream of using…

Apple tree fire screen – finally completing the stem shading

It’s taken a while, but the reworked shading on the stems – and so all of the embroidery – has been finished. Here’s half of the stems redone: And the rest: It’s made a big difference, and I’m glad I decided to over-stitch the too-pale bits. So that’s all the embroidery done.  The next stage…

Apple tree fire screen – stem shading update

As I mentioned before, I wasn’t at all happy about the shading, or lack of it, for the stems, and needed to do something to improve them.  Well, I think I have!  Or started to anyway – there’s still a lot of stem to do. Still, I’m happy with the approach.  I over-stitched the pale…

Apple tree fire screen – all the stems filled in

Sorry for the long gap between posts: blame a combination of being busy at work and watching the World Cup. Well I’ve (finally) completed the stems, and here they are: I say ‘completed’, but the shading really isn’t working at all and something needs to be done about that.  I have an idea what to…

Apple tree fire screen – half the stems filled in

I’ve got half of the stems filled in in Madeira stranded cotton 2213, and I have to say it’s not looking like I’d wanted it to. Here’s the loop at the top: Hmmm… it’s not right, is it. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, I carried on: No, definitely not right.  The palest shade…

Apple tree fire screen – more shading on the stems

I’ve added a bit more shading, and have gone round the edge of all the stitching on the stems in one strand of 2211, the middle shade, and another of 2213, the darkest of the three: Next time, I’ll fill in the rest in 2213.

Apple tree fire screen – stitched stems

After my failed attempt to use Italian tubular mesh ribbon for the stems, I’ve reverted to regular stitching for them.  What a relief! I’m using three shades of Madeira stranded cotton, 2208, 2211 and 2213: I outlined the edge of the stems with the darkest of the three, 2213, in split stitch rather than stem…