‘Teamwork’ bees: small embroidered panel

Recently, as part of my day job, I was on a management training course. As part of that, we were divided into teams and asked to produce a short presentation on a management-related theme each team was given. The team I was in was given ‘Teamwork’. We decided on a metaphorical approach, using bees and…

Tropical Blooms parasol

Time for a new project! I’m still keen on the tambour beading idea, so I’m starting a proper project using it, rather than just experiments and practice pieces. Tambour beading is commonly used to embellish (very expensive) clothing, but my dressmaking skills aren’t good enough for that, so I’m tackling something a bit simpler: a…

Plantagenet Wreath

I am something of an amateur history buff.  I’ll happily read books or watch TV programmes about just about any historical period, though there’s something fascinatingly ghastly about the Middle Ages, and I recently read The Plantagenets by Dan Jones, which I can very much recommend.  I’m also a big Shakespeare fan.  Last autumn, I…

Shaded snowdrop sample

Happy new year everyone!  I hope you all had a great holiday and are now raring to go. I’m starting the new year much as I finished the old one, with the snowdrop design, though for the last time (probably).  This final time, I’m going to do it in colour. So, here we go!  Tracing…

Silver snowdrop sample

Another sample piece.  You may remember that earlier this year when working on the Apple Tree fire screen I had a go at using Italian tubular mesh wire ribbon but it didn’t work at all and I took it off. This was the right thing to do for that particular project, but it’s been at…

‘Jungle Book’ slip case

I love books.  I also love book illustration, and over the years have collected quite a few illustrated books.  These are often children’s books, though not always, but they’re beautiful objects whoever their intended audience. I’ve made a few slip cases – a cover to protect a book that it can slide in and out…

Red bat – design and preparation

A new project to work on!  This is quite a small piece, and shouldn’t take too long to do, I don’t think.  The person it’s for has asked for an outline of a bat against a patterned background.  This is on a black fabric, and worked in red metallic thread.  She’s also specified a size:…

Apple Tree fire screen – the design

I’m going to make a fire screen based on the ‘apple tree’ design on my late 19th century wardrobe, which to remind you, looks like this: I also mentioned last time that I’m intending to try a slightly different technique.  If any of you are fans of Game of Thrones (I am!) you’ll have seen…

Wardrobes and fire screens

Today’s post is mostly about furniture, but it will get round to embroidery in the end! Having finished the OBOD banner, I need a new project to work on, and I’ve decided to do something for the house.  My house dates from around 1900, and I’ve got a few pieces of antique furniture to go…

‘An Tigh Geata’ – Druid banner

I’m thrilled and excited to be able to tell you that I’m making a new processional banner, this time for the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids (OBOD).  It’s the Order’s 50th anniversary next year, and the new banner, replacing one from the 1960s which was lost, will be part of that. The lost banner…