…and to the left

Same again, but to the left of the cowslips this time.  A few stems added: A few more flowers linked up: Leaves and ferns joined together: All done: That’s the lot for the bottom panel.  Hooray!  Here’s the full panel, completed: This still has the layout grid on, of course, but with that removed, all…

To the right of the cowslip…

I hope you all had a happy and peaceful holiday; I had a lovely day with family, followed by a complete day off, doing nothing whatsoever. Bliss! Back to work now, though.  I’ve got a few days off the day job, so I want to get as much done as I can before I go…

Curved stems

Other than the cowslips, all the stems on the panel are wavy or curved.  I applied all the flowers more or less by eye, aided a lot by the grid, and that’s what I’m doing for the stems too.  Well it’s worked so far!  All the same, I’m not a make-a-start-and-see-where-it-leads-you sort of person, and…

Cowslip stems

The flower stems are quite flowing (well, most of them), so I’ve decided to start from the centre again and work out, to get the flow right.  This means beginning with the cowslips, which are actually the only flowers with straight stems. To work the stems, I’m couching two strands of the same imitation Japanese…

Edging the rest of the flowers

I’ve been stitching for hours, trying to get caught up on the bottom panel of the Banner.  My (self-imposed) deadline for completion was Saturday, so I’m afraid I’ve missed it already. Still, I’m doing the best I can, and I hope to get at least partially back on track over the next couple of weeks….

Edging the cowslips

The cowslips are easily the fiddliest of all the flowers.  They’re pretty, but fiddly.  You may remember that I gave up all hope of cutting out all of the gaps between the individual flowers on the flower heads, and filled in the smaller ones with stitching in a red thread to match the velvet background….

Gold edging (continued)

I’m running a bit behind schedule at the moment – there’s too much else to do at this time of year! – but I have done more of the gold edging round the flowers.  Here are a few more done: And a  close-up of the completed wood avens, for no reason other than I’m quite…

Gold edging

With all the flowers in place on the background fabric, it’s time to start the edging. This serves two purposes: the practical one of neatening the edges and covering the remaining cut linen, and a more decorative one of adding a bit of sparkle. I’m using imitation Japanese gold passing thread no. 8, the same…

All the flowers added

I was wrong when I said I only had a few flowers on the right still to add – when I checked the design, it turned out there was still a fern to go on the left, too.  And here it is: After that, there really was just a few flowers (and another fern) to go…

More flowers

It’s a beautiful sunny day today, though at -8 degrees Celsius I’m not expecting the snow to thaw any time soon. Never mind, it’s nice and cosy indoors, and I’ve got plenty to do. Including adding more flowers to the bottom panel of the Banner, which is coming along nicely.  Here it is with a few…