Adding more flowers (and a weather report)

Winter’s arrived a month early this year – everything’s under a thick blanket of snow, and I’m currently looking at a blizzard.  A good day to be at home stitching, so it’s a pity I had to go to work!  Still, it did look quite pretty from indoors – this was the view from the…

Applying the flowers

It’s now time to start applying the flowers to the velvet panel fabric.  This is a big moment, and rather a nerve-wracking one, though I suppose the worst that can happen is that I make a mess of a flower and need to stitch it again, which I don’t want to have to do, but…

Cowslip leaves

The last lap!  The very last bit of embroidery to do for the bottom panel is the leaves for the cowslips. These are all together in a bunch rather than separate, and are nice rounded shapes, so much easier than the wood avens leaves.  The technique is the same as ever, though, but just quickly:- I…

Some improvisation

Or cheating, if you prefer. I said last time that something was worrying me about the cowslip flowers; the problem wasn’t with the flowers as such, but with the spaces between them.  As you may recall, all the flowers are going to be cut out and applied to the red velvet that will form the…

Cowslip flowers

The cowslip flower heads each consist of seven individual flowers; some of these are shown from the back, but the rest are seen from the front, and so partially into the interior of the ‘bell’ of each flower.  This needs to be a slightly darker yellow than the exterior, so I need to add some…

Cowslips

The very last sheet of flowers!  Well, for the bottom panel, anyway.  This one is the only appearance on the panel of the cowslip (Primula veris), though it’s a bit complicated, so it’s probably just as well there’s just the one. I’m doing the flowers themselves first, and will do the leaves afterwards.  It’s hard…

Completing the wood avens leaves

With the outline and the central veins done on the leaves, I now needed to fill them in using split stitch shading. To try and give a naturalistic look, I’m working the shading from the centre, around the veins, to the edge, rather than from top to bottom or side to side, say.  To start,…

Wood avens leaves

There are sets of leaves to go with the wood avens flowers, and it’s those that I’m doing next.  I’d done two sheets of transfers for them, but they’re smaller than some of the others, so I decided to iron them both onto the same piece of linen: This has lead to a slightly odd…

More ferns

The second sheet of ferns next.  I have to confess, I don’t like doing them much.  They’ll look fine as part of the overall design, but on their own they’re a bit dull, and pretty tedious to do.  So I’ll just say that I’ve done them, and leave it at that. And here they are:…

Wood avens – petals and centres

I’ve finished the second sheet of wood avens. After buttonhole stitching round the edges of the petals: I added the first band of stitches in the palest shade.  I put more in than last time, to give a slightly more pronounced effect: Then a band with one strand of the paler and one of the…