Shaded snowdrop – cutting out and making up

Having painted the pack of the finished embroidery with diluted PVA glue and left it overnight to dry, I cut out the snowdrop: I’m getting used to dealing with the fiddly shape by now! This time, I’m applying it to a green velvet background, for a complete contrast with the previous snowdrops.  I used one…

White snowdrop sample – cutting out and making up

Happy holidays everyone! I’d wanted to get this finished before the festivities and have just made it, so here we go. You know the drill by now: I painted the back of the stitches with diluted PVA glue, and after leaving it to dry overnight, could start to cut it out: And fully cut out,…

Silver snowdrop sample – completed

With the snowdrop cut out, I needed to stitch it to a background fabric, but as this is an experiment, I decided to try a completely different fabric to usual: net. Pinned to a square of white net: The pins all go over the stitching, not into it, and are enough to hold it in…

Silver snowdrop sample – cutting out

And now the bit I’ve really not been looking forward to: cutting it out.  It’s quite a fiddly design with quite a few skinny bits, so the potential for disaster is quite high. No photo of this bit, but as is now becoming routine, I painted over the back of the stitching with watered-down PVA…

Acanthus leaf sample – completed

As this is just a sample piece I’m not making it up into anything, but I still want to finish it off nicely and put it on a background.  The first step towards that is to paint diluted PVA glue on the back: It’s still damp there so the colours look a little darker. Once…

‘Jungle Book’ slip case – making up the slip case

Time to assemble the slip case itself.  This is a sort of box that the book can slide in and out of, and so needs to fit the book quite snugly.  After some careful measuring, I cut mount board to fit: These pieces will form the front and back, top and bottom, and the spine….

Apple tree fire screen – glue…

On the whole, I’ve never felt that glue and embroidery go together.  I’ll admit to occasionally using small amounts of 505 fabric spray glue to hold small, fiddly appliqué shapes in place before I stitch them, but that’s all.  I dislike Bondaweb and other fusible fabrics and never use them, and wouldn’t dream of using…

Druid banner – putting it together (part 2)

Last time, I’d got as far as adding the tabs for the carrying pole along the top.  The pole itself will be in two parts, in a ‘T’ shape, and so will also pass up the centre of the back.  To stop it blowing about and becoming difficult to carry, I also added two loops,…

Druid banner – putting it together (part 1)

Time to start putting the banner together. The banner is lined with a piece of quite heavy cotton canvas cut to the final size, to give it some weight and support; the banner itself will be assembled around this. After thoroughly damp-stretching both the front and the pack panels, I attached the bottom hem of…

Lindisfarne Stones: assembly

With all the stitched sections finished, it’s time to put it all together. I cut pieces of mount board, to form the ‘box’: The top of the box needs to have a hole cut in it to frame the carved stone; to do this, I first traced the shape and stuck it to one of…