Apple tree fire screen – starting the leaves

The leaves are going to be worked in the same way as the apples, in long and short stitch with some colour shading. I’m using three shades of Madeira stranded cotton: Numbers 1410, 1411 and 1412. As before, I outlined the leaf shapes in stem stitch (which is getting a bit better!), using the lightest…

Apple Tree fire screen – more apples

Last time, I’d finished the first apple in the design, with two more to go.  Here’s the first: And the second: The fabric has puckered a bit around them, as you can see; This fabric – an organza –  is too fine to stretch as tautly as I would normally do with linen, but as…

Apple Tree fire screen – an apple

With the highlight spots on the apples, time to fill in the rest.  The main body of the apples is in Madeira stranded cotton no. 0211, a nice bright red.  I’m filling them in in long and short stitch, stitching over the stem stitch around the edge. I’m also trying to give some shape to…

Apple Tree fire screen – starting to stitch

With the design painted onto the organza, I can start to stitch over it, starting with the apples. As you probably guessed from the paint, these are to be a nice bright red, and I’m going to be using three shades of Madeira stranded cotton, 0211, 0214 and 0305: I used the darkest shade, 0211,…

Spiral Abstract I – V

As suggested by regular reader Cynthia of California Stitching, here are all five Spiral Abstract pieces. Spiral Abstract I Spiral Abstract II Spiral Abstract III Spiral Abstract IV Spiral Abstract V I have another series of five related pieces in mind, but they’re going to have to wait – next time, I’ll tell you why!

Spiral Abstract V

This is the final one of the set of five Spiral Abstract pieces; I intend doing another related set of five, but they’re going to have to wait as I’m about to start a really exciting new project instead.  More on that in future posts! Back to today’s though.  As with the others, it’s silver…

Spiral Abstract IV

This is all going better than expected!  I’ve now finished the fourth one in the series, though it does have rather less stitching in it than the others. Here’s the design, as a transfer on the lining fabric on the back: Then overstitched with running stitches to transfer it to the front: And then stitched…

Spiral Abstract III

Onto the third piece in the series.  Everything is the same as before other than the design, so without further ado, here it is: Tacked through to the front of the fabric: And stitched: Finished!

Spiral Abstract II – stitching

With the design transferred to the front of the fabric, I just needed to stitch over it, with the same silver Gutermann metallic thread as before. It’s in three sections, so here’s the first: And the second: And the third: Finished!

Spiral Abstract I – going well

Early days yet, but my exhibition project is going well so far! Last time, I’d ironed on a transfer of the design of the first (of five) abstract Celtic spiral designs onto the linen used to line the surface fabric.  This, I can now reveal, is black silk matka, the same fabric I used for…