‘Teamwork’ bees: starting sewing

With the design transferred to the back of the fabric and it stretched onto an embroidery frame, it’s time to start sewing. Firstly, I need the design on the front of the fabric, where I can see it. The background fabric is silk dupion in ivory; I don’t want to mark that directly as it’s…

‘Teamwork’ bees: small embroidered panel

Recently, as part of my day job, I was on a management training course. As part of that, we were divided into teams and asked to produce a short presentation on a management-related theme each team was given. The team I was in was given ‘Teamwork’. We decided on a metaphorical approach, using bees and…

Tropical Blooms parasol, panel 2: the design

I’ve got very behind again, but I’ll try and bring you up to date. Having finished the first tambour beaded parasol panel (out of 10), I’m starting straight on with the second. It’s a bit faint (it’s clearer in real life, fortunately), but here’s the design marked up on the fabric, ready to go: I…

Nasturtium roundel

A new project: same technique, for a stylised design of nasturtium flowers, leaves and seeds. No stitching yet, but getting it set up ready.  First, drawing over the design with ultra-fine Sharpies onto some gold organza: With the drawing removed but still pinned onto backing paper: I then painted this in, using diluted acrylic paints: Peeled…

Oak leaves – setting up

After the detour into goldwork, I’m back to a long-and-short project again now. I want to try something a bit different with the background this time, but that’s a long way off – I need to do the actual embroidery first. This design features stylised, rather exaggerated oak leaves. Here’s the design with some gold…

Plantagenet Wreath

I am something of an amateur history buff.  I’ll happily read books or watch TV programmes about just about any historical period, though there’s something fascinatingly ghastly about the Middle Ages, and I recently read The Plantagenets by Dan Jones, which I can very much recommend.  I’m also a big Shakespeare fan.  Last autumn, I…

Shaded snowdrop sample

Happy new year everyone!  I hope you all had a great holiday and are now raring to go. I’m starting the new year much as I finished the old one, with the snowdrop design, though for the last time (probably).  This final time, I’m going to do it in colour. So, here we go!  Tracing…

White snowdrop sample

Same design, slightly different approach.  This time, I want to see how it works in white-on-white.  I’ll be using the same cut-out-and-apply technique so it’s not proper whitework, of course, but I’m interested to see how convincing – or otherwise! – it is. So starting out the same as before, tracing the design onto silver…

Silver snowdrop sample

Another sample piece.  You may remember that earlier this year when working on the Apple Tree fire screen I had a go at using Italian tubular mesh wire ribbon but it didn’t work at all and I took it off. This was the right thing to do for that particular project, but it’s been at…

Acanthus leaf sample

After the Apple Tree fire screen, I want to do a couple more small sample pieces using the same techniques, to play about a bit with the shading and see what works.  The first one I’m going to do is a classical acanthus leaf design: While the fire screen used quite bold colours, I want…