Tambour beading: first experiment

For no particular reason other than wanting to give it a go, I have decided to teach myself tambour beading. For anyone who hasn’t come across it before, this is a way of attaching beads or sequins to a fabric with a hook rather than a needle, and is meant to be both faster and…

Nasturtium roundel – outlining the design

Off we go with the stitching, starting with outlining the motifs in the design in a single line of split stitch using two strands of Madeira stranded cotton in appropriate colours. For this project I’m using green in three shades, 1410, 1411 and 1412, for the leaves and 1409 for the stems and seeds: Yellow…

Oak leaves – outlining

The first thing to do is outline all the shapes to be stitched in split stitch, using two strands of stranded cotton. For the leaves, I’m going to be using Madeira stranded cotton numbers 1410, 1411 and 1412: For the branches 2211, 2213 and 2214, and the acorns 2208 and 2209: The leaves outlined: And…

Welcome to the new blog!

The new blog, and the new website, are now up and running! The old blog started in 2009 and has been largely unchanged since, and the old website back in 2007, so they were both well overdue for a new look.  All the old posts and comments from the previous version should still be here, if you…

Advance warning: the blog is moving!

Just a note for regular readers: this blog will be moving to a new address in the next few weeks. For years now, my website and my blog have been at different locations.  I’m currently getting the website redeveloped, and as part of that I’m bringing the blog into it.  All past posts should still…

All the snowdrops

All three snowdrop samples together: Which one do you like the best?

Hello to new readers!

If you’re new to this blog and have followed a link here from Mary Corbet’s site, then a big hello, and I hope you’ll keep on reading. If you did come here from Needle ‘n Thread then you’ve probably already seen the Apple Tree fire screen: but you might also be interested in some of…

Apple tree fire screen – finished

It’s all done, and I’m very pleased.  I’m not 100% happy with the shading on the stems, but they’re fine, and the new things I tried – paint and glue! – have been very successful indeed.  This was always meant as an experiment, but I’ll definitely be using these techniques again in the future. So,…

Apple tree fire screen – Italian tubular mesh wire ribbon

Sometimes, things just don’t work, and this was one of those times. If you’ve been following this project, you’ll know that I’m using techniques described by costume embroiderer Michele Carragher.  As part of her fabulous work she uses something called Italian tubular wire mesh ribbon.  I have to admit I’d never heard of this before,…