Silver snowdrop sample – the snowdrops

Another ghastly photo, but hopefully you can more or less tell that I’ve finished the satin stitch for the upper leaves and  around the edge of the snowdrops: That’s all the embroidery done – now to cut it out…

Silver snowdrop sample – satin stitch

To hold the silver mesh in place, I’m stitching over it in sating stitch around the edge; the double row of split stitch forms the extent of the satin stitch, leaving as much of the mesh exposed as possible. The roots first: Stems and most of the leaves: The large single leaf: My stitching looks…

Silver snowdrop sample – outline

A short post for a fair amount of sewing: using split stitch, I’ve worked a double row of stitches around the outline of the design, and just inside it: I want the silver mesh to form the design and so be as visible as possible, but it also needs to be held firmly in place…

Silver snowdrop sample – Italian tubular mesh wire ribbon

As I mentioned before, the point of this sample is to try something using the Italian tubular mesh wire ribbon (henceforth referred to as ‘mesh’ as it’s a lot easier). Here’s the design on the fabric, stretched on a frame: The design is clearly far too fiddly to try and apply the mesh to it,…

Silver snowdrop sample

Another sample piece.  You may remember that earlier this year when working on the Apple Tree fire screen I had a go at using Italian tubular mesh wire ribbon but it didn’t work at all and I took it off. This was the right thing to do for that particular project, but it’s been at…

Hello to new readers!

If you’re new to this blog and have followed a link here from Mary Corbet’s site, then a big hello, and I hope you’ll keep on reading. If you did come here from Needle ‘n Thread then you’ve probably already seen the Apple Tree fire screen: but you might also be interested in some of…

Acanthus leaf sample – completed

As this is just a sample piece I’m not making it up into anything, but I still want to finish it off nicely and put it on a background.  The first step towards that is to paint diluted PVA glue on the back: It’s still damp there so the colours look a little darker. Once…

Acanthus leaf sample – starting to fill in

With the shading done, I can start to fill in the rest, using two strands of the palest shade, 1908. Here’s one leaf done (and photographed against a dark background, to make it stand out a bit better): And the rest of that section: There’s still a way to go, but I’m happy with how…